ESPON SUPER: Sustainable Urbanization & land-use Practices in European Regions
The aim of the project is to provide evidence, recommendations, and measures on how sustainable land use can be promoted and how land-take [i.e. conversion of rural to urban land use or urbanization] and urban sprawl [i.e. unsustainable urbanization] can be avoided, reduced and compensated in Europe, its cities and regions.
The project's acronym - SUPER - stands for the characteristics of the research approach:
- Sustainable (temporal balance vs thematic balance);
- Urbanization and land use (understanding drivers of change);
- Practices (land-use decision-making, effectiveness of planning);
- in European Regions (territory matters, regional approach).
The main project's tasks are:
- Evidence and maps of land-use dynamics, specifically urbanization patterns;
- Evidence on the impacts of different kinds of urbanization;
- Evidence on the impacts of interventions to influence urbanization;
- Case studies on intervention practices in urbanization hotspots;
- A handbook to promote sustainable urbanization and land use;
- Recommendations for EU policies for promoting sustainable land use.